We implement a "know your customer" policy to ensure that our products are used in compliance with applicable law, and with the standards set forth in ASME A17.1 (CSA B44), "Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators". For all orders, the following requirements apply:
- Positive identification. The information you provide in connection with your order must be accurate and verifiable.
- Authorization to order. You must have an appropriate training, experience and/or an appropriate job title at your organization to place an order.
- Authorization of work. By providing a credit card or PayPal authorization for our products, you assume full responsibility and liability for the products or work ordered.
- Record retention. All orders and related correspondence are retained for a minimum of 3 years.
How to Order
When placing your order, make sure to provide all the requested information completely and accurately. We will attempt to verify the information you provided through a variety of means. Licensed professionals are verified through the licensing agency where applicable. In jurisdictions where elevators are registered, information is verified through the regulating agency. We may contact you, or a representative of your organization, to verify the information you provide. The information provided with your order may be provided to third parties for the sole purpose of verifying your authorization to order.
If We Are Unable to Verify the Information Provided
In most cases, if we are unable to verify the information provided with your order, the order will be cancelled. At our sole discretion, we may contact you requesting supporting documentation. In the event we request written documentation, generally, it is only necessary to verify an account once, however we may request additional information at any time.
- Elevator personnel: fax or mail us a statement on your company's official letterhead that you are requesting keys. Please note any union affiliation, professional qualification (e.g. QEI number) or license numbers as are applicable to your organization.
- Emergency personnel: fax or mail us a statement on your department’s official letterhead that you are requesting keys. The statement should be signed by the department chief, deputy chief, or other commanding officer.
- Licensed contractors: fax or mail us a statement on your company’s official letterhead that you are requesting keys. The statement should be indicate your company's professional license number and describe your intended use of the keys.
- Building owners and their managing agents: fax or mail us a statement on your company’s official letterhead that you are requesting keys. If the address on the letterhead differs from the delivery address, you must note the delivery address in your request. The statement should be signed by a director or officer of the company, a chief of security, a facilities manager, or other authorized personnel.
- Individuals with private residence elevators: fax or mail us a copy of your driver's license or non-driver photo ID card. You may redact your driver's license number, however, your full name, address, and photo must be visible. The ID must be a valid, non-expired state-issued ID. The name and address on the ID must match the recipient name and shipping address. Your statement must include a valid reason to possess the key in question.
- Locksmiths: Licensed locksmiths and active ALOA members may purchase code cut keys, locks, and other security hardware. The name and shipping address must match a valid license or membership record. Note that we are unable to sell hoistway door unlocking tools to locksmiths as these tools are restricted to elevator personnel and emergency personnel only.
If you are a building owner or managing agent, but do not have official letterhead, or if you believe you have some other special reason to possess elevator keys, please call us toll-free at (855) 469-8364 for more information. Please note, that although we actively support the elevator photography community, we do not sell keys to individuals unless they fall into one of the above categories.
Note that 18 U.S.C. § 1001 makes the use of any false writing or document containing any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry a federal crime punishable by up to 5 years in prison. Additionally, false documents submitted by fax or by mail may constitute mail or wire fraud as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 1341 and 18 U.S.C. § 1343. ElevatorKeys.com reserves the right to refer any document suspected to be false or fraudulent to law enforcement for appropriate action.